Find out more about the impact of our work, how we use the funds raised and what you helped us to achieve over the last 3 year and our next 3 year plan.
Our achievements over the last three years:
- We have identified novel genes (titin) that cause heart failure.
- We have identified some important risk factors (in particular fibrosis) that cause sudden death.
- We have set up a multicentre study of patients with acute myocarditis based across South East England.
- We have established a large biobank of patients with myocarditis which we will be using for identifying new treatments and diagnostics.
Our next three year plan:
- To identify early markers and predictors of adverse outcomes in patients with myocarditis so that we may protect them.
- To understand why patients develop myocarditis – particularly if there is a genetic predisposition.
- To develop a simple kit that can be used by GP’s for early diagnosis as soon as patients present.
- To look at new treatments to improve outcomes and avoid the need for heart transplantation.
The foundation continues to pledge a minimum of £80,000 a year to fund a full time research fellow and a full time research nurse. They will seek out survivors of myocarditis in the UK, track them, analyse their bloods and find some trends. This will result in research papers which will outline trends which warrant further investment and funds to take finding solutions to the next level.
With this research we will save lives.
Your support means more people affected by Myocarditis can get the information and help they need.